Abbie Metge rests in a hospital in Salt Lake City recently. Metge was diagnosed with a deadly bacteria that forced doctors to amputate her right leg earlier this month. (Submitted photo)
A phone call saved Michelle Metge’s daughter.
The 10-year-old was recovering from a tractor accident when circumstances turned for the worse earlier this month. The family, with long ties to Vale, now lives in Afton, Wyoming.
The injury happened Memorial Day weekend, when Abbie Metge was riding with her feet dangling over the bucket on a tractor. The tractor hit a bump, trapping and dragging Abbie’s legs along the ground.
Surgery for a large gash in one leg and a few days in a Wyoming hospital seemed to put the worst behind Abbie.
For the next week Abbie rested at home . . .