ONTARIO – CASA of Eastern Oregon is holding an open house this Thursday from 4 to 7 p.m. at its new Malheur office, 1159 SW 4th Ave. in Ontario.
The public is invited to attend and learn more about the Court Appointed Special Advocates’ work on behalf of children in the justice system.
Also coming up for CASA is a Paint for CASA class at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 6 at the Elks Lodge in Ontario. Tina Ota will lead the class. The cost is $40 per person.
• The 30th annual Festival of Trees offers a Christmas wonderland and a chance to help two charitable organizations serve the community.
The event will be this Friday through Sunday at the Clarion Inn in Ontario.
Holiday shoppers can purchase trees, centerpieces, wreaths and more.
On Friday, admission is free for early birds, from 7 to 9 a.m., and regular hours will be 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Cinnamon rolls will be on sale on a first come, first served basis until they are gone.
Saturday hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. The day feature fun for the children – a visit from Santa from 12-3 p.m., as well as cookie decorating, Christmas crafts, writing letters to seniors, face painting and photos with Santa. There will be specials from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.
The event benefits Meals on Wheels and Help Them to Hope.
• The Disney classic “The Lion King JR” will take the stage at Four Rivers Cultural Center in Ontario Thursday through Saturday, Nov. 15-17. Showtime is 7 p.m. each date, with a 1 p.m. matinee offered on Saturday. Tickets cost $5 and are available at 4rcc.com or in the center’s gift shop. Proceeds support continued children’s theater programming.
• A free Community Thanksgiving Dinner will be offered from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thanksgiving Day at First Christian Church, 180 N.W. First St., Ontario. For more information or to volunteer or donate to the event, call Nora Bean, 208-739-2725 or 541-889-8140.
• Crafts, gifts and handmade items will be featured at a Christmas Bazaar Friday and Saturday, Nov. 23-24, at the Ontario Boulevard Grange, near Cairo Junction. The hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days.
There will be hamburgers, chili, pies and more for hungry shoppers to fuel up.
• Community in Action will be at the Vale City Library on Tuesday, Nov. 27, to assist seniors and disabled persons with energy bills. Appointments are required and can be obtained by calling 541-889-9555.
Those interested must bring the following documents to their appointment: Idaho Power bill, other heat source bills (e.g. natural gas, propane, oil, pellets), a social security card for all household members, ID card for household members ages 18 and older and proof of income.
Readers can send event information for Coming up and Vale News to [email protected].