Uncategorized

Budget whistleblower draws heat from Ontario city officials, pro tax campaign

A screen shot on Wednesday captures a Facebook post on the Citizens for a Better Ontario page. The post was modified later in the day after the Malheur Enterprise began reporting on the matter. (The Enterprise graphic/Jayme Fraser)

ONTARIO – A local woman who raised the alarm about a significant error in the proposed Ontario city budget stands accused of “fanning the flames of discontent” by the campaign seeking a city sales tax.

Mary Jo Evers, an Ontario resident, questioned the city’s accounting last week as fiscal writers put the finishing touches on a new budget that takes effect July 1. Evers said it appeared the city had double counted or otherwise wrongly accounted for certain city funds. Evers said she pressed the matter as a private citizen, not in her role as finance director for the Ontario School District.

You've reached subscriber-only content

Register for free to continue reading  Free 3-day trial

Already a subscriber? Log in here.