U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley will be holding a town hall meeting in Jordan Valley on Sunday. (Photo courtesy U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley office)
• U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley will hold a town hall meeting at the Lions Club Community Hall in Jordan Valley at 2 p.m. Sunday, March 18. Merkley will provide a short presentation on his work in Washington, D.C., and take questions from the audience.
• The Vale High School Alumni Association will hold a meeting on Monday, March 26, at the Malheur County Commissioners Office at the Courthouse in Vale. The meeting will start at 5:30 p.m. The agenda will include voting for 2018 Hall of Fame inductees and a discussion of changes in the by-laws. For information, contact Cynthia Mayhall at 541-473-4267.
• Vale Elementary School kindergarten teachers will start the Little Steps program on Monday, March 19, at 6:30 p.m. The program is for students entering kindergarten next fall. Students must be 5 years old by Sept. 1 to participate. A second session of Little Steps will be held Thursday, April 26, with kindergarten registration held before the session at 6 p.m. Future students will be able to meet teachers, visit a classroom, and tour the school. For information, call Lynda Gastanaga at 541-473-0238.
• Hilary Collinsworth, a livestock water quality specialist with the Oregon Department of Agriculture, will be discussing operations and updates from Joseph to Jordan Valley on Thursday, March 15, at the OSU Extension Office in Ontario. Collinsworth will also be accepting questions regarding regulations or status of operations within her district. The talk starts at 7 p.m. and is open to all. For more information, contact Kelly at 541-881-1417.
• The 2018 Spring Into Wellness Fair Tour starts in Harper on Thursday, March 22. The Harper event will be the first of seven locations the fair will occur with over 25 community providers present at each. Each fair will offer raffles, including two bicycles (one adult and one child sized) as well as gift baskets and door prizes. The Harper event begins at 4 p.m., continuing until 8 p.m. The fair continues on Sunday, March 24 at Adrian’s Two Rivers Park starting at 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. For questions, contact Karina Carbajal at [email protected].
• On Fridays through the Lenten season, the Ontario Knights of Columbus will hold a fish fry at the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Ontario. Along with fried fish, the menu includes French fries, homemade coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, deep fried mushrooms and homemade clam chowder. Cost is $10 per person or $30 for families with school age children with dinner served from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Beer and wine is also available along with water and soda.
This year, Lent began on Feb. 14 and continues to March 29.
• Authors and Hors d’oeuvres is the name of a new book club that meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Monday of each month in Room 210 of the Treasure Valley Community College library.
Participants should bring finger food to share and their own beverages. The club has selected these books: “Above the Waterfall” by Ron Rash, for March; and “Where the Past Begins” by Amy Tan, for April. For information, email [email protected].
• The Ontario School District will hold kindergarten round up on Thursday, April 26, at the district office. The round up starts at 8 a.m. and continues to 7 p.m. Parents wanting to register children for the 2018-2019 school year should bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate, current immunization records, names and phone numbers of persons picking up child and proof on residency in Ontario. Registration will also be available for the pre-kindergarten summer school. The office is located at 195 SW 3rd Avenue. For questions, phone 541-889-5374.